Commissioner of The Revenue
For making sure your contractor measures up
- Hire only licensed contractors.
- Check contractors’ license at www.dpor.virginia.gov or (804) 367-8511 and Caroline County Business License at (804) 633-1086. All contractors excepting work in Caroline County are required to have a Caroline County Business License.
- Get three references, review past work.
- Get at least 3 bids.
- Get a written contract and don’t sign anything until you completely understand the terms. Make sure the contract states the responsible party for all Caroline County permits. Information on building permits is available from the county at (804) 633-4303.
- Pay 10% down, or $1000.00, whichever is less.
- Don’t let payments get ahead of work. Keep detail records of payments.
- Don’t make final payment until you’re satisfied with the job and the county inspector has passed all work done. (If a permit is not required you may wish to have a courtesy inspection by the County Building Official)
- Don’t pay cash.
- Keep a job file of all papers relating to your project.