Industrial Road & Rail Access Fund
Rail Industrial Access Program
The Industrial Access Rail Program provides funds to construct railroad tracks to new or expanding industrial and commercial projects in Virginia.
Industrial Access Road Program
- Funds may be used to construct, reconstruct, or improve part or all of the necessary tracks and related facilities on public or private property.
- Financial assistance to any one county, city or town is limited to $450,000 in any one fiscal year. A maximum of $100,000 of unmatched funds and an additional $50,000 on a dollar for dollar matching basis is available per project.
- Funds may not be used for right-of-way acquisition or adjustment of utilities.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) administers a program to assist in constructing industrial access roads to provide adequate access to new and expanding manufacturing or processing companies.
The maximum award for an industrial access road is $300,000. However, the state will fund an additional $150,000 if the amount is matched on a dollar-to-dollar basis from public and private sources other than VDOT.
The amount of the award is based on the eligible capital investment of the company.
- Improving existing roads to handle additional traffic generated by either an industrial expansion or a new plant location
- Constructing a new road from a publicly maintained road to the property line of the new industry when no road exists
A resolution from the local governing body must address the commitment of right-of-way and any adjustments to utilities (at no cost to the program). It also must describe the extent of private investment made by the industry.